2/24/2013

"I figure dancing's less about being a good talker, and more about being a good listener"

From my experience, the above statement has also applied to sales/business, teaching, and relationships.


It's interesting... the 14-year old me started dancing back in 2002-2003, because I didn't feel like a good TALKER, or at least I felt like verbal communication had its limits. And I thought it would help me get girls (it didn't). But in terms of being tested and challenged, dancing can certainly help build strong character, and abs (and that gets girls better, I think...Idunno haha ;P).

^breaking changed my life


I think EVERYONE, especially people of color, has had some form of SOCIAL ANXIETY... issues with self-esteem, introverted traits, shyness, timidity (due to media portrayal maybe?), and I've learned that dancing can bring great relief to that anxiety.

It brings HAPPINESS! And it's HEALTHY! So dance... even if you suck!




My wise friend Brian once eloquently said:
"Dancing is a natural way to express positive vibes in a social environment."

As anyone who has ever danced would know, it feels really good to just move.
Forget anything else, just enjoy the music and the moment. It's a gift.


Talk is cheap. And skills pay bills. There's people talking shit within the dance community; that's a fact, and that is WACK. Most of it is just bboys hating on bboys that they don't know very well... Competition is cool, but talking shit on people you don't know is some weak shit. Skills speak louder than words.

So in dancing, it's not about how well you can speak, it's about how well you can LISTEN...and REACT.

~~~

In contrast, the 17-year old me picked up WRITING RHYMES as a serious habit because of the limitations I then perceived in communicating with no words. Although communicating without words is amazing, because it transcends borders and can be felt as a spiritual practice, words that are carefully chosen, and emotionally charged, can have TREMENDOUS value.

That's why I write AND dance... 2 swords are better than 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment