4/17/2013

The Divine Side of Music Theory

In honor of National Poetry Month, my recent interest in Pythagoras' life//Pythagoreanism, and my insatiable need to create, I wrote a new poem, in a new style.

A "21st-century style" from a 21st-century mind, they'll come up with an official name for it 100 years down the line, as science and spirituality continue to intertwine.

Harmonic Intervals and their connection to the Cosmos


For more on Pythagoras, the man behind the theorem, check out: Pythagoras, Sacred Geometry, and the Fundamental Language of the Universe (YouTube Video)


Introspective side-thought:
I figure I might go down like most artists/poets, with people not reading deeply into my works until after I die. Recognition of my work is growing organically, so I'll just stay patient, stay alive, and keep creating. Maybe someday, someone high up will realize the level and value of my writing, and we can make big moves together. I hope I don't go the way of Van Gogh or Sylvia Plath however...wouldn't want to be chronically depressed, or put myself in an oven. They made some good stuff though!


So here's my new poem in the Divinity of Music, if it doesn't make sense, just look up the words!


2013

Music Theory


The heart beats a natural rhythm,
Oldest percussion known to man.



Earth tones sounding good
With melodics, harmonics, pentatonics... 
Gin and tonic symphonics evolve into electronics.

If God's music strikes a chord,
I dance to the melody, and its energy,


Climbing my way up life's arpeggios,
Weighing major scales, and minor harmonies.
Diminished experience, augmented reality.



Middle finger on Middle C. Music of infinity.
Transposed tales of a tragic story,
I don't want your sympathy.
Come together as a symphony.
No one wants to seem phony.
Sharp voices sing flat. It's not natural.
Complex progressions create dissonance
Somewhere between my head and sole.



From the bass to the upper octaves,
To vibrations unheard by human ears.
There, higher beings wave to greet us.


---

A little background on me: I took 8 years of piano lesson, 4 years of music theory, and somehow managed to pass the AP Music Theory exam in high school... bboying, poetry, and the history I learned at UCLA have shaped my world view... now I'm geeking on Pythagoras' connections between music, mathematics, and reality.

For more mind-blowing stuff, check the Wikiquote on Pythagoras.

Pythagoras spent years studying in Egypt

In case you didn't notice:
The numb#r of lines for each part of the poem (I wouldn't really call them "stanzas") follow the Fibonacci Sequence... 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8....

No comments:

Post a Comment