1/29/2013

Fuckin Up

I was gonna write something sad and overly-political about America's problems, then quote some underground hip hop lyrics, but decided to spare the trouble. Maybe another time.

Instead, I think posts that are self-reflective and honest resonate better...
...As opposed to being outwardly critical, and completely fallacious.

So... lemme talk about my fuckups as a bboy. They're kinda funny.
Always a lesson learned.


And not just THESE fuckups:

My face almost blew up right here, that woulda been fuckin up.

So not just fuckups like crashing... during important battles. That's definitely a fuckup. 
But also, not going to jams and practices, and being as involved as I once was.

See.... Back in high school, I danced every day during lunch and afterschool (see video above).
On Friday's we'd practice in the garage til dinner. It was the greatest time to break,
High school dances were the funnest shit ever.
And that's sorta when I was at my peak.

I couldn't dance a lick, but I was at my physical peak. At least a local maxima.
I'd say I'm a better dancer now, with more moves, more understanding,
But there are SO MANY people doing it, I'm still far from the best, even locally. 

And lately I've been injured. Why? Cuz of FUCKIN UP! (see video below)
So I've had to turn my energies away from dancing.
That's partly why I've been blogging and writing and rhyming more. Grinding more.
At the base of a tree, not the top, so I'm climbing more.

On the topic of climbing and elevating,
Just got the news that I got accepted to go teach Math in New Orleans!
Speedway to teaching math! That's a dream! 
From one Saint City (Santa Ana) to another!

~~~~~

For those who aren't bboys themselves, you might know me as 'the dancing guy,'
and if you know me as that, you've probably seen me dance, and you MIGHT think I'm good.

But let me assure you, although I've picked up some stuff in the 10years I've been doing it, I've still got a long way to go in the dance game. And there are people who practice a lot harder, and take it much more seriously than I do. The ones who practice harder are better than me. 
That's why I didn't win this jam:

Although, up to this point, I was practicing regularly:



But right around 4:00 minutes in.... I started fuckin up! It was all downhill from there.

My thumb's still not the same. 

All good though.

Better news to come in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment