4/11/2013

What It's Like to be Awake During Wisdom Teeth Extraction!

I figure this story has some value.

Unlike many, I had the unique experience of being completely AWAKE and conscious of what was going on during my Wisdom extraction surgery. 

I had FOUR 3rd molars (wisdom teeth) removed, though only one of them was sticking out from my gums.

I was given the option to get knocked out for $800 or just get sedated/numbed for $400. If you want to talk to my friend Irvin, he'll knock you out for free. After some deliberation, and being very tempted to experience getting "knocked out on medical drugs" I decided to go with the $400 sedation-numbing method, which turned out to be a GREAT choice, and I saved 400 bucks!

Photo Cred: Victoria, the best assistant ever

The procedure itself wasn't too bad, I was awake throughout the whole thing and remember it vividly.

First was the pre-numbing gel that tasted like my mouth-numbing Benzocaine cough drops. Pre-numbing... sounds too close to pre-cumming. Not something I'd normally want in my mouth. But that day it was okay.

Then it was the 4 jaw-numbing Lidocaine shots. I had never been injected that intensely. Straight into the hard part of my gums. It was probably the MOST pain throughout the entire operation. But after that, I was numb TO THE MAX. 

Then the nitrous (laughing gas) started hitting. They strapped a nitrous mask on me to ease my apparent anxiety. And good thing too, that nitrous shit was fun!!!

whooo-hooooo!

Dental lights aren't normally blinding, but the one this guy had was fucking BRIGHT. They put sunglasses on me, and it felt almost like a comical situation. Coupled with the nitrous, I couldn't help but ask the assistant, Victoria, to snap me a photo! For memorabilia, she took 4!




As we waited for the Lidocaine to kick in, I kept inhaling the nitrous. Deep breaths, in through the nose, out through the mouth. Started feeling like a really fun form of meditation.

I was clearly having a lot of fun.
Soon, I was as numb enough not to be trusted with drinking water. The doctor started cutting my gums and yanking out each tooth. He said "Tom, good news buddy, we got the whole tooth out, and doesn't look like your nerve is damaged." That was relieving. I said "Thanks Doc, Thanks Victoria." 1 by 1, he pulled out the teeth, then stitched me back up. I was getting loopy on that nitrous though, I got the assistant Victoria to get me a pen and paper so I could write down some shit I thought of. Overall, $400 for a pretty fun experience. The worst part was just bleeding a shit ton from my mouth. But ya know... that's temporary.

Honestly, it was pretty horrifying to see my mouth full of blood. That's what I went through on Monday, and I would not want to do it again. This guy was a pro though.



Codeine medication wasn't really that cool. Just made me drowsy and sleep extremely well.

Kinda stinks that the new tooth that I used to play around with with my tongue is now gone.


I heard the knock-you-out medication is pretty intense, and can cause vomiting, nausea, or death. If I have kids, I'd get them on the nitrous! Save $400 that way too! LOL

11 comments:

  1. Wisdom teeth extraction is not obligatory. The need for extraction is a bit of a white noise, you know. Well, who is it to blame when everyone you know has had their wisdom tooth removed as well? However, if your dentist advises it, then you should probably do it. Don’t delay. It means that the third molar might cause damage to adjacent structures and teeth alignment, which might cause face asymmetry and other problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such courage to undergo the procedure awake! Wisdom tooth extraction is one of the many things a person dreads, so I'm glad you were able to keep a lighthearted tone with this entry. I hope your recovery went well and you can now relax, knowing that those pesky teeth are gone once and for all.

    Clinton Zelman @ DougSmithDDS.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’re right, Clinton! Tooth extraction can be frightening enough to a lot of people, let alone tooth extraction while awake! It’s good to know the procedure went well, except for the bleeding, which is normal anyway. At least the laughing gas had you all smiles.

    Florence Sparks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine being awake for this surgery. I had my wisdom teeth removed about 7 years ago and it was a fun experience. You always see the videos of people doing funny things and I was the same. Wisdom teeth videos have become apart of american culture. http://www.sundancesmiles.com/services/wisdom-teeth/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job on gathering your wits under what others would've deemed as a horrific situation. Your story truly worth noting. Although, I would have to set the record straight about the “knock-you-out” medication’s intensity causing vomiting, nausea, or death. As long anyone doesn’t have pre-existing condition, then they should be fine with this treatment. And the dentists are trained to know what the proper amount to use for patients, so overdose is a highly-unlikely scenario. Nevertheless, thanks for sharing your experience!

    Lindsey Hubbard @ Team Green Dentistry

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know that I could deal with being awake during a wisdom tooth extraction, much less 4 wisdom teeth. Though, I have to admit that the thought of spending half as much on the procedure by just being sedated and numbed does sound pretty good. I'm just glad that I'm past the point where I'd need to make that kind of decision myself.
    Keara | http://www.campusoralsurgery.com/procedures-wisdom-teeth-surgery.asp

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it is terrible! Anyway you are fearless person...

    Betty
    Oral Surgeon in Mulund

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! This post really helped me see what its like to be awake during a surgery. I am going to undergo surgery on 3 supernumerary teeth inside my lower gums along my jaw this year. I was quite worried about having to be awake for this procedure (being asleep does really cost a lot!), but this article really helped me.
    Thank you~!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to get mines out while im awake and I am so terrified because I dont know if the medicine will be enough for me so I wont be able to feel any pain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't worry k-drizz, they won't start until you're numb.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah I agree that wisdom teeth extraction seem like a frightening treatment. When I had to get my wisdom tooth extracted I was extremely scared but everything went great during and after surgery. I appreciate my dentist Redondo Beach for such professional treatment.

    ReplyDelete